Employee Practices Liability Insurance
Insurance and Broader Business Solutions in One - Sequoia's Employment Practices Liability Insurance (EPLI) is an inexpensive, comprehensive product to protect businesses from employment-related lawsuit exposure.
Beware of Lawsuits from Within
What if a former employee sues for wrongful termination or someone you choose not to hire sues for discrimination? Even companies with a Human Resources department can struggle to deal with such lawsuits. How would you?
The answer: If you have EPLI with Sequoia, you turn these issues over to us. You get to return to the business of running your business. We handle the suit and pay for the cost of defense and settlement up to your coverage limits.
Available EPLI coverage pays for costs associated with a lawsuit brought against you by an employee's accusation of:
- Discrimination (age, gender, race, etc.)
- Harassment (emotional distress, sexual harassment, etc.)
- Inappropriate employment conduct (wrongful termination, refusal to hire)
- Third-party ADA compliance claims (optional coverage for failure to comply with the Americans with Disability Act)
Why do I need EPLI?
You might feel like your employees are almost family, but they may not see it the same way. Suits from them can come about as a surprise and make you feel betrayed. These types of assumptions may cost you your business:
- "I have a GL policy, I must be covered" -The typical GL policy does not cover EPL-related claims. For less than $300, the EPLI coverage will provide you with appropriate coverage and many of the employment management resources that you may not have without a dedicated human resources person.
- "I only have a few employees, so I don't have to worry about them suing me" -Small businesses are common targets, with 40% of EPL-related claims made against employers with a staff of less than 100 people.
- "I only hire someone new once in a while" - It's not always the employees you already have, these suits can come from a job applicant that you do not actually hire. With the average age of US workers reaching 40.7 years, there are more people that fall into the protected "over age 40" class, making age discrimination the fastest growing and costliest type of lawsuit.
Resources to Help Run Your Business
Beyond the financial security that comes with a EPLI policy, you receive free access to dedicated services to help fill any gaps in your employment practices. Go to www.sequoiaepli.com for:
- 24/7 access to resources for improving employment practices for your business,
- Solutions for standard Human Resources activities like downloadable employment forms, manuals, and policy templates,
- Online management training on employee terminations and preventing employee discrimination,
- Best Practices Help Line staffed by employment attorneys for consultation on how to effectively manage employee relations
Learn more about Sequoia Employment Practices Liability.